The name, logo, signature, seal, slogans of a company is its trademark. Trademark registration is done to get them registered. It is essential to separate the unique name and details of identity so that it does not become subject to copying or theft.
Advantages of Trademarks Registration
The following are the advantages:
- Evidence of ownership of trademark
- Important asset for the business
- Builds goodwill
- Gives stronger enforceable rights to prevent use of trademark
- Trademarks can be sold, licensed or assigned
- Registration covers all over India
Types of trademarks
- Invented word
- Numbers or letters
- Combination of color or color with words
- Shape of goods
- Packaging of goods
- Sound marks which would be presented graphically
What does trademark contain?
- The class of goods/services
- Address of the proprietors
- Particulars of trade
- Convention application date
- Place where trademark has been registered
How is it registered?
- Trademark search needs to be done
- Apply in Form TM-1. Application needs to be filed before the Registrar of Trade Marks of the place of business. Application must be made in the prescribed manner
- Application maybe made in the name of the company or in the name of the proprietor
- Define the class under which the products/ services are to be classified
- Pay fees for the application
- After registration, an application number is allotted. The ™ symbol can be used.
- Examination report is filed within 3 months
- If examination report comes without objection, the application is registered
- The application is published in the Indian Trade Marks Journal. After proper registration, the ® symbol can be used.
Time for trademark
Trademark search takes about 4 hours to complete. Application for trademark takes 2-3 working days. Trademark registration process takes about 18-24 months.
Cost for trademark
Cost for trademark search is approx INR 500 . The registration of trademark costs INR 4000-6000 Though prices vary from vendor to vendor.