FSSAI or Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a part of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. It is responsible for protecting and promoting health through supervision of food safety. It regulates the manufacturing, storing, distributing, selling and importing to make sure the standards and safeties of food products are maintained. The FSSAI provides a 14 digit registration or license number which must be printed on food packages. Also it is mandatory top print the FSSAI mark on the packets.
Who needs to register for FSSAI?
All businesses dealing in manufacturing of food products, selling of food products, storage of food products and also restaurants need to register under FSSAI.
Documents required for registration of FSSAI
- Identity proof of directors along with address proof
- Place of business proof
- Blueprint /layout plan of processing unit
- Declaration form
- Authority letter
- Copy of property paper
- Food safety management system plan/certificate
- Form IX with board resolution
- List of equipment and machinery
- Photograph of production unit
- List of food category to be manufactured
- Pesticide residue report
- Proof of possession of property
- Partnership Deed/affidavit/memorandum & articles of association conferring constitution of the firm
- Details on source of raw materials
- NOCs from Municipality or the local body and from the State Pollution Control Board
Different types of licenses for FSSAI
- Central license: for big manufacturing and exporting businesses
- State license: for small to medium manufacturer, retailer, dealer
- Registration: for petty manufacturers
Procedure of FSSAI
- Fill up Form-B to either the central authority or state authority
- Declaration and required documents need to be submitted along with fees
- Inspection will be carried out
- After 60 days, the license is usually received
Time for FSSAI registration
Time taken for FSSAI registration is generally 2-4 months.
Cost of FSSAI registration
Service cost differs from vendor to vendor.
Government cost: central – RS. 7500
State- RS. 2000
Registration- RS. 100