E-mail marketing is the marketing through use of emails. E-mails are generally broad casted to addresses in the database. Emails are used to send ads, requests business, promote sales. These emails contain images, graphics, and banner with text which inform the recipient about the business.
Why is it used?
E-mail marketing is essential tool of marketing as it enhances business and makes possible retargeting. E-mails are sent to new and existing customers. Not just promotions, emails regarding feedbacks and survey reviews are also conducted to establish a stronger bond with the customer. It increases loyalty, and convinces customers to buy again.
What are the advantages?
- E-mail marketing ranks second best effective after SEO marketing
- Low Cost
- Track and understand customer behaviour through ESP (email service provider)
- Cost-effective way to test content
- Mass communication
- Instant feedback
What are the disadvantages of using email marketing?
There are many disadvantages too.
- E-mails can be put into spam box, i.e. they never get delivered in the inbox.
- Never read. Many promotional emails are often not opened by the recipient, making them useless.
- As a person gets a lot of emails on an average, he may not read the full email.
- Non interesting headline will not induce the recipient to open the email.
- Sending too many emails can enlist a website as spam.
What are its types?
E-mail marketing can be done by the following ways:
- Transaction e-mail: when a person communicates with a company, and the emails exchanged for completion, confirmation, reporting of a transaction are known as transaction emails. Triggered transactional emails include password reset emails, order confirmation, order status, etc. These mails are sent to generate a relationship with the customer.
- Direct e-mail: these emails are the promotional emails that are sent to emails in the database solely with the intention of advertising. These may contain images, graphics, and slideshows.
- Mobile e-mail marketing: the search interest of mobile phone users are captured on the databases. These databases are utilized by companies to tailor emails for the customers and send those tailored and relevant emails.