Copyright registration is a registered document to retain the proof of originality of a piece of work with unique and creative content. It avoids any false claims for ownership by any individual or entity in the future. In case of a theft or unauthorized use, the original document is verified for authentication.
Who needs Copyright Registration?
Copyright registration can be obtained for original work of art, literature, books, music, film, computer games, design, sketch etc.
Advantages of Copyright registration
The following are the advantages of registering a copyright:
- Legal protection
- Restricts duplicity and reproduction of the same work
- Copyright registration creates an intellectual property thereby, adds to asset
- Registration in one country, protects the work all over the world
- Creates a goodwill
Process for copyright registration
- Application for registration along with fees. The following forms need to be filled up:
- For literary works and computer programs- Form TX
- For performing arts- Form PA
- For single issue or serials/periodicals- Form SE
- For group of issues of serials/periodicals – form SE/group
- For sound recording- Form SR
- For visual arts- Form VA
- Issuance of diary number
- After 30 days of mandatory waiting, the content is examined by examiner
- Registration is approves, if no problem is found
Time for Copyright Registration
Registration takes about 2-6 months.
Cost of Copyright Registration
Different forms of works have different cost of registration.
Literary or artistic work: ranges from 4000-6000
Visual arts: 10000-15000
Sound: 5000- 8000